Friday, May 29, 2009

Sunshine Sketches

I am from small town Ontario where everyone knows your family name, the type of car your parent’s drive and the pew you sit in at church; it’s like living in a Stephen Leacock novel but it’s not fiction.


I am the daughter of the town merchant who is “Home of the Handy man”; they drop by each day to pick up a paper, chat about the price of pigs and get caught up with the local gossip; the customer is always right and every person in town is a potential customer.


I am from “You would lose your head if it wasn’t attached to your body”; carefree summer days with plenty of pals and no parent supervision; jumping fences, petting horses and running from stray cattle; meandering streams full of odd spawning fish and a salt shaker for the blood suckers; endless days of Barbie Dolls under the cedar tree where I am the Queen and my sister is the servant.


I am from, “Your left hand is the work of the devil” and “Offer it up to the suffering souls in Purgatory”; Ancient Sisters with bad habits; naughty farm boys being strapped at the back of the class; don’t look back or you are next; look, look, look and see, see, see, straight rows, sharp pencils and clean finger nails; stand up straight to read, nervous twitches, puddles under the desk; immunity.

I am from Betty and Veronica and Ritchie Rich and mail order Sea Monkeys that never arrive; Anne of Green Gables, Anne of Ingleside and the learning the fate of dear Anne Frank; genuine tears for Old Yeller and forever wanting a horse just like Black Beauty.


I am from pen pal letters in colourful ink to Swift Current and Corner Brook; hidden locked diaries that big brothers threaten to read; dishevelled bookshelves, stacks of unmarked student papers and listening late at night to correspondence tapes from University Courses. The apple won’t fall far from the tree.


I am from school wide musical productions and bus trips to Big Al’s Talent Showcase; red ribbons at Kiwanis Festivals, piano recitals in smelly old church halls, and intense Royal Conservatory exams; Public speaking circuits and local theatre; always a tune in my head and song in my heart.

4 comments:

  1. hello Ruth,

    I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoyed Archie comics. I heard there will be an Archie movie this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent most of my summer's in a little place called St. Lawrence....there is much richness in the language of Newfoundland! I miss it. The intimacy was magical. Thank you for the mental picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello Ruth,

    We both share the small town experience. Nothing beats being out in the fields playing all day without any Television. How things have changed :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried reading Anne of Green Gables many times, could not do it. I was however in, Anne of Green Gables the play and loved it. I guess I am a Kinaesthetic learner.

    ReplyDelete